If you’re a film maker, or simply an actor with some free time and an interest in broadening your skill set, consider producing your own short film from scratch. You don’t need any fancy equipment, and you don’t even have to produce anything particularly amazing, you just need plenty of motivation to learn and develop.
Since getting started with a fresh idea can be the most difficult part of the process, here are our top tips for finding inspiration when you’re thinking about a project like this.
- Read and watch as much as possible so you can get excited about the art of storytelling and start thinking about what you’d like to create. Books, plays, TV shows and movies can all be equally inspiring.
- Talking about your ideas with close friends and family can be hugely beneficial. You might find that just a few prompts are all you need to start openly discussing your ideas and finding the missing pieces of the puzzle.
- Try to make a habit of keeping notes every day. Before you go to bed, write down any ideas that are currently forming in your mind. If you haven’t got anything good, write down something you think is a bad idea. Inspiration can come from the most unlikely sources.
- Don’t shut yourself away to be creative, because this is somewhat contradictory. Get outside and experience the real world to feed your mind and absorb new sources of future inspiration.
- Look at something in more detail to find a hidden story. You can start by examining an everyday object and finding meaning hidden beneath the surface.
- Ask people about their stories and life experiences. Often the most impressive fiction will be inspired by a real story.
- Create contrast with your characters by putting opposing archetypes against each other in a difficult situation. To get an idea of how contrasting viewpoints can oppose each other, try arguing about topics with your friends or others.
- Try rewriting a classic story and re-telling it in a completely new way with an added layer of depth and meaning. Some of the most famous stories and films are actually based on the same starting point.